Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Japanese Culture

Beginning this blog by talking about what "Japanese culture" is. There are  tons of things and traditions that describe Japanese culture but i will share three of those. This is a photo of "Coming of Age Day", me wearing kimono. Everyone who are 20 goes to the ceremony with this tight kimono on. We spend about 200,000yen and wake up early to get ready (depends on people) for just this moment. It was fun but I thought it is crazy to spend so much money on a particular day. However, it has become one of my best memories.
The right photo is a zoom of "Obi(帯)" which is belt for kimono. Can't tell from its appearance but this is the one that makes us tight and hard to breathe. We are able to choose colors for kimono and obi and all the decorations for kimono. I chose this less popular color "light green" kimono with Sakura patterns.
I think Fireworks are another popular Japanese culture. I know other countries have fireworks, but Japanese ones are more high quality!? I guess. On Summer seasons there many fireworks all over Japan. What we call "Hanabitaikai(花火大会)/Matsuri(祭)". On the streets we can find many small shops and booths in a row that offers foods and games. The best festival in summer that I recommend for foreigners to go. The photo was taken last year at Fukuchiyama located upper Kyoto.
Worldwide formula, Sushi equals Japan. In Japan, we can have 2 piece of sushi on a small plate by100yen or 1 sushi that costs more than 10,000 yen. Whenever I go overseas, I always wonder about sushi rolls having avocados in it which I really wish Japanese to do. The End of my first culture observation photo journal.


1 comment:

  1. You bring up some interesting examples in the start of your attempt to explore and define your own culture. Rather than having many examples, I might like to read more detail about one. For example here, while I love fireworks and sushi, I might like to read more details about Coming of Age Day and your participation in the related events. I look forward to your future posts.

    You might consider moving the disclaimer to a different part of the blog layout. Also, please add the CC and set the default language to English.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.